One of my favorite Christmas presents this year, was an indoor herb garden. Both Zack and I LOVE it. I planted my herbs around two minutes after I opened the present. We currently have two different types of basil, dill, curly parsley, thyme, and cilantro growing. It has been so fun watching the plants grow, and picking off some leaves to throw in our dinner a second later.
Our basil plants were growing so huge the parsley and cilantro were struggling underneath. We decided to put tons of the basil and make pesto! We got to whip out our food processor for the first time and whip up some home made pesto.
My mom used to grow basil in our garden out back and it was the best whenever she would make pesto. I still remember dancing around my kitchen singing about pesto. I have never made it before so I just threw things I thought are supposed to go in it into our food processor. I didn’t measure anything so the following is mostly how I made it.
- Several handfuls of Fresh Basil
- About a handful of fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup a pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves of garlic (we really like garlic)
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs olive oil
- A few shakes a salt and pepper
- Pull the leaves off the basil and throw them in the food processor
- Put everything else in the food processor
- Pulse on high around 30 seconds
- Remove the lid and use a spatula to scrape down the sides. Continues this process of pulsing and scraping until pesto is the consistency you like.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
We mixed this delicious pesto in with chicken and pasta and had some delicious water mellon on the side.